TVP recognises, values and celebrates difference.
Every individual at TVP matters. Everyone has an important role to play and makes a difference. Collectively we work together to achieve our commitment of making all communities within the Thames Valley safer and more secure.
Different people bring different perspectives which help us develop better understanding and learning, leading to new ideas and solutions to the challenging social issues that we face on a daily basis.
We aspire and are working hard towards having a police force that truly reflects the communities we serve. Our region is increasingly diverse and it is important our workforce reflects this, ensuring our officers, staff and volunteers are approachable and relatable to our communities.
Positive Action is a range of measures by which employers can target candidates for recruitment from communities who are underrepresented in an organisation. It allows us to develop strategies that support progression and improve retention. By removing traditional barriers, TVP can provide a positive, modern and progressive working environment for those candidates who apply and meet the minimum role criteria.
We want to recruit the best candidates and with Positive Action initiatives we are able to give the widest possible access to aspiring people from all backgrounds.
Some examples of our positive action initiatives include:
- mentoring programmes for both applicants and existing officers, staff and volunteers,
- additional help and advice during the application process is available to anyone from a Black, Asian & Minority Ethnic (BAME) group via Facebook,
- ambassadors across the Thames Valley positively promote the work of the police, facilitating and encouraging engagement with our recruitment teams,
- regular attendance at local cultural events and celebrations giving us the opportunity to engage positively and regularly with our communities,
- familiarisation evenings and events during recruitment of Police Officers, PCSOs, Special Constables, Call Handlers and staff roles,
- BAME career development tracker for our current officers and PCSOs,
- an active number of dedicated staff support networks